- To read an overview of what to expect on each of the Hawaiian Islands, then check out this post.
Packing List For Hawaii (For Her)
Hawaii Beach Wear
The best place to start is to make sure you are packed for the beach (obviously right, but be sure to keep reading because there are lot of things you probably haven’t thought of including). Here are a few of my recommendations.Fast drying compact travel towel – This really will come in handy when you need extra room in your suitcase. There is nothing worse than having to use a wet towel to dry off; this towel allows you to be at the beach all day and then swim at the hotel pool at night, all while avoiding the wet towel problem. Oh, and don’t let the gray color turn you off; there are tons of different color options available. Swimsuit – I know Amazon is probably not the first..or even second place you would look for a swimsuit, but after watching a popular YouTuber try on and review a bunch of $20 swimsuits from Amazon, I was sold. They have so many cute options and most of them offer free returns if it doesn’t work out, fits weird, or just looks different than the pictures. I love buying clothes off of Amazon because of the thousands of reviews, and the feature that allows you to see other people’s photos of themselves in the swimsuit. It is nice to see what a swimsuit looks like on a real person, and not just a model.
Shop more of my favorite top rated swimsuits on Amazon
Sunscreen – Sunscreen is something that you could just buy once you are there, but with the need to wear sunscreen every day, you shouldn’t risk going anywhere without it. I’ve tried a few all-natural sunscreens with limited success. Thankfully I found this one that works out pretty well (especially for your face), but for a Hawaii trip I don’t recommend trying out a new sunscreen in case it doesn’t work for you. The sun is so strong there that you may end up regretting your decision due to an early burn.Cover-up – Having at least one good cover-up is essential on any beach trip. Amazon has amazing ones at really affordable prices. Hat – Above is another great way to protect yourself from the sun and heat. I also love wearing hats for photos when my hair is just not working out. My favorites on the beach are a straw or baseball hat. Water Bottle – I am now obsessed with the MIRA water bottle. This is no ordinary water bottle; it keeps your liquids cold for up to 24 hours or hot for up to 12 hours (seriously, it’s amazing)! It is the exact same thing as the super popular “Hydro Flask” water bottle, but is less than half of the cost! I wanted a Hydro Flask for a while, but couldn’t bring myself to pay $45 for one water bottle. I was excited when I found the MIRA, and especially excited when it worked (if you don’t believe me, read the reviews). Sandals – These jelly sanadals come in pink (my favorite), white, black, or red. If you are looking for something a little sporty I LOVE the Adidas sandals that made a comeback this year.
(For hiking, outdoor activities, and working out)
Sports Bra – You want to make sure you have a sports bra for hiking, running, and really any kind of outdoor activity.
Comfortable Running Shoes – I struggled to find a good pair of running shoes that didn’t make my feet hurt (ask my husband, he got stuck returning the others). I finally found Nikes; they aren’t anything like the popular Nike Free Runs that look cool but have no support. You can wear this in Hawaii for outdoor activities, even hiking and running.
Yoga Pants – These are my favorite Yoga pants ever! I love the capri version, especially since they are under $20. Don’t let the price fool you, as they are just as good quality as any workout pants I have bought. They also have a hidden pocket on the inside which is nice to hold any cards or money that you want to keep on you.
I even included an embarrassing mirror shot so you can see how cute these pants are! I love them (The color I am wearing is Rubine Red; it is a bright pinkish red). I also am ordering them in Winter Blue and Mulberry. (I’m a little obsessed, haha, but I just can’t get over the quality of these for $16.99.)
I’m also wearing the Nike’s I linked in the above photo. They are so comfortable!
If you prefer wearing shorts they have a shorts version you can check out as well here.
Tank top – I love these tank tops because they are “flowy”. I like to get one a little bit big and tie the bottom.
Dresses For Hawaii
Maxi dress – Packing a few good dresses is essential for Hawaii. Dresses have become my go to on trips to help quickly put an outfit together. It’s easy to throw on a comfortable dress and shoes and be ready to go.
ToiletriesDry Shampoo – Dry shampoo is a life saver, especially on vacation. A few years back I was desperate to find a dry shampoo that actually worked and didn’t leave my hair feeling gross. Now, I’ve found a few that work great! On trips I always bring these travel sized ones with me.
Shampoo & Conditioner – I usually just put my normal shampoo in travel bottles like these. I also put things like my face wash and body oil in there as well (I love this stuff, it’s so much better than regular lotion).
I also put my body wash in these containers. For years I used Oil of Olay body wash liked it fine, but recently switched to Dr. Bronner’s Pure-Castile Liquid Soap and I love it! I will never go back. I’m still working on getting my husband to make the switch though.Toothbrush & Toothpaste – I recently started using this all natural charcoal toothpaste and I actually kind of like it. It doesn’t give your mouth that minty fresh feel after using it, but pretty much immediately after I noticed that my teeth were whiter! Have any of you ever used a charcoal toothpaste? What did you think?! Razor – I have been using men’s razors for years now and I love them! They are so much better than women’s razors. I linked the one I use and turns out that I am not the only one that likes it! Haha. It has over 2,500 positive reviews on Amazon.
Electronics & Other Gear for Hawaii
A key part of any vacation is taking pictures. Phone cameras keep getting better and better, and unless you are super into photography or don’t have a phone that takes good photos, you honestly won’t even need a fancy camera.However, if you looking for something that gives you more options than a camera phone, we recommend (and currently use) the Fujifilm XT1 Mirrorless Camera. It is a lot smaller than a DSLR (major bonus when traveling) and is water resistant. There are also a number of water resistant lenses available. This really comes in handy when it starts to rain, or when you are trying to get a photo of a waterfall and it’s misty. If it is pouring rain, you will still want to cover it up though.
To cover in harder rain I use these camera covers; they’ve worked great and for only $9.99 they can’t beat it.
Note – Fujifilm recently released a newer model of the Fujifilm XT1, the XT2. This is great because now you can get the XT1 for a lot less than we paid! I’m still really happy with the XT1, so I haven’t looked into upgrading and can’t provide a lot of detail on how it compares. Let me know if you have it in the comments below!
Our Fujinon lenses
- 18-55 mm Kit lens – Great for everyday use and way better than most kit lenses out there. Tip – If you buy it with the camera, you can get it a lot cheaper.
- 56 mm lens – This one is great for portraits, fashion, & food photography, etc. It will give you that blurry background that gives your photos a “professional” look. It is a little bit more expensive, but it is my favorite lens! If you are looking for a cheaper alternative, I recommend the Fujinon 35mm lens. Tip – If you are new to photography and not sure what lens will give you the look you want, I recommend checking out the Amazon reviews. They have a super useful photo section in the reviews that shows you exactly what each lens can do.
Other gear & tech we use
- Portable charger – My husband is incredibly hard to buy gifts for, but when I saw this portable charger I knew I actually found something he would use. Thankfully, I was right! This thing is amazing and gives you so many full charges. I love that it has multiple slots so that we can charge our devices at the same time. I guess you can say it was a gift to myself as well. Haha!
- Earth Pak Waterproof Dry Bag – We never travel without this. It is too stressful to be out in the rain and worry about whether or not your electronics will still work when you get inside. It also comes with a waterproof phone case which I love. Sidenote – I actually use the waterproof phone case in the shower every day. Haha, it is amazing, I listen to podcasts, music, or watch YouTube videos.
- Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones – Okay, so these aren’t totally necessary, but once you have them you can never go back. I always had a hard time watching movies on planes because the engines were so loud. I felt like I could never hear the movie without turning the volume up all the way. Am I the only one that has this problem? These headphones were a game changer for me. I use them every day. They look bulkier than they actually are; they fold up really nicely for travel.
Save this article for later on Pinterest!
Thank you so much for sharing.