EHUKAI BEACH AKA BANZAI PIPELINE BEACH
The North Shore of Oahu is famous for being home to some of the best surfing on earth. Of all the top surf beaches on The North Shore Ehukai is arguably the best.
Its also know as the home of the Banzai Pipeline. Even if you aren’t a surfer yourself, it’s still worth a visit to watch the best surfing talent on earth. Even when there isn’t a competition here you can expect to see the worlds finest riding the waves.
The waves are best in the fall and winter, but even if not watching or riding the waves, you can still enjoy this beautiful beach, just don’t plan on snorkeling!
Warning: the waves here are serious business. Unless you are a really good surfer don’t even try to ride them. The waves can be up to 45 feet high (in season generally 8-20 feet). They will flick you like a booger!
EHUKAI BEACH Quick Tips:
- Known for: One of the best surfing beaches on earth (Banzai Pipeline)
- Good for: surfing and watching surfers
- Not so good for: ease of access
- Facilities: restrooms, showers, picnic tables, concession stand
- Lifeguards: yes
- Parking: metered spots, but extremely difficult to find a spot
- Hours: technically closes at 10 pm and doesn’t open until 5 am
Ehukai Name Meaning
Ehukai means sea spray in Hawaiian, name fits since crashing waves create sea sprays Home of banzai pipeline.
This beach also goes by banzai pipeline beach, Pipe or Pipeline and pupukea beach.
Where is Ehukai Beach located?
Ehukai Beach is located on the North Shore of Oahu. This region is one of the most popular surfing locations on earth.
Of the north shore beaches, this is one of the furthest north. It is immediately off of the main road. It’s Eleasy to access l, just takes time.
Also, it faces west so a great spot for sunsets.
How to get there?
It is about a 1 hour drive from the airport. If you are coming from Waikiki area it is far enough on the north shore that it is usually quicker to go around the shore of the island the “long way” – expect this to take you about an hour and 45 minutes, but gorgeous views and beats the traffic cutting across the main part of the island.
What can you expect at Ehukai Beach
In general expect a gorgeous beach with insane waves. The waves here are huge and consistent in the fall and winter, but even outside of season there are still pretty strong waves.
The size and consistency make this one of the best surf beaches on earth (even amongst the plethora of good surf options on the north shore.
In the summer it sometimes is calm enough to swim and snorkel at, but don’t bet on it.
Even with the top surfer draw, the area isn’t littered with high rises and tons of restaurants and shops.
The main hub of the north shore is the Haleiwa area about a 15 minute drive away.
The beach has showers, restrooms, and picnic tables. There is a small concession stand, but other than this there isn’t a lot.
Tours in Area
Conclusion: Is Ehukai Beach worth visiting?
If you have any interest in surfing, even just a casual watching interest I highly recommend stopping by this beach.
The large waves are breathtaking and when the works class surfers are out I can watch for hours and hours.
Check out our most popular Oahu posts below:
My husband and I have been to Oahu many times and have written up more blog posts to help you plan your trip. These are my most popular blog posts and Hawaii travel guides to help you plan your trip.
Best Things to do in Oahu
- 15 Places You Can’t Miss in Oahu (Hawaii) – our most viewed post ever!
- 11 Best Things to do in Oahu (You Probably Haven’t Heard of) – For those looking for more unique things to do in Oahu
- The Ultimate Hawaii Packing List – What to pack!
- Best Doors off Helicopter Tour on Oahu
- Shark Diving in Oahu – Everything you need to know!
- Visiting the Secret Mermaid Caves Oahu – MUST visit!
- Halona Blowhole – Lookout, Beach & Lava Tube
- Laniakea Beach – The TRUE Turtle Beach in Oahu!
- Kailua Beach Park – Oahu’s Best All Around Beach
- Lanikai Beach – Great, but not my favorite
Best Cliff Jumping in Oahu
- Waimea Bay Cliff Jumping on Oahu – amazing cliff jumping spot
- Laie Point Cliff Jumping Spot on Oahu’s North Shore – more cliff jumping!
- Spitting Caves in Oahu – Underrated!
- China Walls on Oahu – another great cliff jumping spot.
Best Snorkeling in Oahu
- Best Snorkeling in Oahu
- Sharks Cove Oahu – Great snorkeling here
- Hanauma Bay
- Electric Beach Snorkeling – (Kahe Point Beach Park)
- Kuilima Cove Snorkeling at Turtle Bay Resort
Best Hikes on Oahu
- Diamond Head Hike– updated for 2023 – you now need reservations.
- Koko Head Hike – The world’s Largest Stairmaster
- Kapena Falls – One of the best easy hikes on Oahu
- Likeke Falls Trail
- Lulumahu Falls Hike – Everything you need to know
More Hawaii Blog posts: