Waimea Bay Beach Park is located on the North Shore of Oahu, Hawaii. It is famous for the iconic Waimea Bay Cliff Jump and its insane 30-foot waves in the winter. It is one of the top places in the world to watch the best surfers.
The beach is much calmer in the summer months making it great for swimming, snorkeling and diving.
Waimea Bay Beach Park Location
Waimea Bay Beach Park is located on the North Shore of Oahu. Without any traffic it is about a 30 minute drive from Waikiki.
That being said, you should plan extra time for your drive since you are very likely to encounter traffic. Traffic can add an extra 30 minutes to your drive. Traffic is the worst on the weekends so plan ahead.
When in Hawaii I highly recommend renting a car to get the most out of your experience. It would be difficult to see all the beautiful places in Hawaii without a car. Reserve a car here.
Waimea Bay Parking
Go early to get best parking or be prepared to circle a bit.
What to Expect at Waimea Bay Beach Park
The North Shore of Oahu is pretty much off-limits for swimming during winter because of the dangerous conditions (aka 30-40ft waves and crazy currents).
It’s a perfect time if you want to watch the big wave surf competitions but most of the beaches are red-flagged (no swimming) at this time. Plan your adventure in summer for the best experience.
If you want to swim at this beach I would plan to go during the summer.
Waimea Bay Snorkeling
You will only be able to snorkel in the summer here due to the massive waves that come in during the winter months.
On a calm day the water is crystal clear! It is incredible. This is also a very common spot to see sea turtles!
The best place to snorkeling is around the rocks. You can also find some caves to swim through.
Waimea Bay Cliff Jump
This is one of the best and most popular cliff jumping spots in Oahu. Check out the full article on the Waimea Bay Cliff Jump here.
Other things to do in the area
Three Tables Beach
Sharks Cove – great for snorkeling
Check out our most popular Oahu posts below:
My husband and I have been to Oahu many times and have written up more blog posts to help you plan your trip. These are my most popular blog posts and Hawaii travel guides to help you plan your trip.
Best Things to do in Oahu
- 15 Places You Can’t Miss in Oahu (Hawaii) – our most viewed post ever!
- 11 Best Things to do in Oahu (You Probably Haven’t Heard of) – For those looking for more unique things to do in Oahu
- The Ultimate Hawaii Packing List – What to pack!
- Best Doors off Helicopter Tour on Oahu
- Shark Diving in Oahu – Everything you need to know!
- Visiting the Secret Mermaid Caves Oahu – MUST visit!
- Halona Blowhole – Lookout, Beach & Lava Tube
- Laniakea Beach – The TRUE Turtle Beach in Oahu!
- Kailua Beach Park – Oahu’s Best All Around Beach
- Lanikai Beach – Great, but not my favorite
Best Cliff Jumping in Oahu
- Waimea Bay Cliff Jumping on Oahu – amazing cliff jumping spot
- Laie Point Cliff Jumping Spot on Oahu’s North Shore – more cliff jumping!
- Spitting Caves in Oahu – Underrated!
- China Walls on Oahu – another great cliff jumping spot.
Best Snorkeling in Oahu
- Best Snorkeling in Oahu
- Sharks Cove Oahu – Great snorkeling here
- Hanauma Bay
- Electric Beach Snorkeling – (Kahe Point Beach Park)
- Kuilima Cove Snorkeling at Turtle Bay Resort
Best Hikes on Oahu
- Diamond Head Hike– updated for 2023 – you now need reservations.
- Koko Head Hike – The world’s Largest Stairmaster
- Kapena Falls – One of the best easy hikes on Oahu
- Likeke Falls Trail
- Lulumahu Falls Hike – Everything you need to know
More Hawaii Blog posts:
- Best places to see on all the Hawaiian Islands – 27 Incredible Places To Visit In Hawaii
- The Ultimate Guide to Visiting the Hawaiian Islands – and what to expect on each island: What To Expect On Each Of The Hawaiian Islands