When in the Azores, (Sao Miguel Island) you should do as the locals do, and that means trying some of the traditional cuisine.
Cozida Das Furnas is a sausage stew that’s cooked in the ground by chefs using the natural geothermal heat.
The village of Furnas is the best place to get a taste of this delicious cozida.
If you are interested in seeing Furnas, Azores without the hassle of renting a car I recommend these guided tours.
Where to Stay in Furnas
If you plan on staying a night in Furnas these are the best hotels in the area.
Considering it rates well into the 9’s out of 10, you would expect it to be extremely expensive, but surprisingly it isn’t.
It typically ranges between $100 and $200 per night, but does sell out so book quickly. We would have loved to have stayed there, but it was sold out when we were there.
Furnas Lake Forest Living – Located just outside Furnas and right by Furnas Lake. Lots of hiking trails nearby.
Cozido das Furnas: Making Volcano-Cooked Cozido in the Azores
The chefs bury the stew in the ground and wait for Mother Nature to do her job. I didn’t have any myself because of my dietary restrictions, but the smell and novelty tempted me.
If you’ve tried some cozida stew, let us know what you think of it in the comments below!
Geothermal cooking – a hole where traditional meal Cozido das Furnas is cooked slowly in a hot spring by volcanic steam in Furnas on Sao Miguel, Azores, Portugal
Furnas Azores: What to Expect
Furnas is a town of 1,500 on São Miguel, the largest island in the Azores. It’s also in the mouth of an active volcano, because of this Furnas is best known for its volcanic activity with geothermal hot springs, mud pools and fumaroles.
It is so picturesque you feel like you are living in a fairy tale town. Make sure to check out Furnas Lake while there! It is literally right next to the hot springs.
How to get to the Furnas
The town of Furnas was a 45 minute drive from where we stayed in Ponta Delgada. We stayed in the Azores Royal Garden hotel. (This is the exact hotel we stayed in and loved it! Perfect central location.)
Visiting The Azores? READ NEXT:
- Top 10 Things to Do in Ponta Delgada Azores (Sao Miguel island)
- 20 Awesome Things to do in the Azores
- 23 Most Beautiful Azores Beaches
- 5 Best Sao Miguel Hot springs
- Azores Travel Guide: 7 Things You Must Know Before Going
- Azores Weather: What You Need to Know Before Going
Places to not miss in the Furnas area:
- 6 Best Things to do in Furnas (Azores)
- Cozido das Furnas: Volcano-Cooked Cozido in the Azores
- Guide to visiting Furnas Lake (Azores)
- Parque Terra Nostra (Furnas, Azores) All you Need to Know
- Guide to Visiting Mosteiros Beach in the Azores (Sao Miquel Island)
- Caldeira Velha Hot Springs
- Lagoa das Sete Cidades, Azores (Lagoon of Seven Cities)
- Visiting Poca Da Dona Beija Thermal Baths in The Azores
- Miradouro da Boca do Inferno | Azores Hike in Sete Cidades
- Ponta Da Ferraria – A Volcanic Ocean Hot Spring in the Azores