Is the Fire Wave Trail the best trail at the Valley of Fire Las Vegas?
In my opinion yes! It is an absolutely stunning trail!
Some of the best Vegas attractions aren’t casino properties on The Strip. After a quick drive from The Strip you can get to some amazing geographic features like the Fire Wave trail. Yes, the swirls in the rocks really do look like swirls of ice cream! Most people think that to get to natural wonders like this you need to pay for an expensive permit and hike and camp for 3 days. Not here!
The Valley of Fire State Park is almost exactly a 1 hour drive north of Las Vegas. All you have to do is drive up the main interstate and follow signs telling you when to exit. It costs $10 per car to enter the park, but no permit is required. The actual hike to the fire wave is only 3/4 of a mile, so 1.5 miles round trip.
The swirling waves of rock aren’t contained to one small area. They undulate back and forth for a few hundred yards. You aren’t prohibited from climbing on and over them either. The park rarely gets crowded. Even though hike doesn’t have a lot of shade, there are unique rock formations to view on the way.
Check out our latest articles on visiting Las Vegas!
Where to Stay in Las Vegas
Overall Favorite: Bellagio Hotel & Casino – A Luxury resort with five pools in a courtyard setting. The rooms are the ultimate luxury. This hotel features a free water show with fountains synchronized to music is right in the middle of the Strip.
Most Luxurious – Aria Resort and Casino – One of the newer hotels on the strip (opened December 2009). This was the hotel that my husband and I chose to stay in the night we got married, before heading out on our honeymoon to Iceland. It can be pricey, so if you are going to stay here make sure to take advantage of all the features of City Center has to offer. The shopping, restaurants, pools, and spas cannot be beat.
Family Choice: Circus Circus – This property’s location is right off the Strip, so you have immediate access to any of the big casinos, yet you can book Circus Circus at an extremely low rate. On more than one occasion I’ve had family with little kids book this for $19 a night.
Circus Circus also features its own INDOOR amusement park, Adventuredome. Adventuredome is a cheap way for kids to get to experience smaller versions of all the rides at a typical amusement park (roller coasters, bumper cars, boat swings, etc). My nieces and nephews thought this amusement park was just as good as Disney Land (it’s not), but it is a fraction of the cost.
Budget Choice: The Golden Nugget – Located off of Fremont Street, or what many people now call Old Vegas. This hotel recently received a complete renovation, and now the rooms feel brand new, and are beautiful. My favorite feature of this hotel (other than the price) is the waterslide that goes straight through a shark tank. Seriously, a water slide that goes within inches of huge sharks! I have literally booked this hotel for friends at a rate of $25 per night, though in high season and on weekends it is more expensive.
More posts on Las Vegas:
I lived in Las Vegas for almost 10 years and loved it there! Here are a few of our most popular Las Vegas posts that will help you plan your trip.
- 10 Attractions You Can’t Miss in Las Vegas (Our most popular post ever!)
- 10 Must Do’s in Vegas for First Timer’s – The perfect guide for first time visitors
- 22 Unique Things to do in Las Vegas – You didn’t know these things existed in Vegas
- 17 Awesome Things to do on Fremont Street – don’t overlook Fremont Street when in Vegas! It’s awesome
- 9 Things to do in Vegas During the Day
- 45 Cheap Things to do in Vegas (Under $30) – Vegas doesn’t have to be expensive
- 14 Best Shows in Vegas – We’ll tell you which ones are worth seeing!
- Go City Pass Las Vegas Reviews (Is Go City Pass Worth it?) – Spoiler alert – YES! It is worth it.
- 10 Best Things to do at The Linq Promenade – New Vegas hot spot
- The Linq Zip Line – So much fun
- How to do Las Vegas on a Budget – My guide to doing Las Vegas on a budget
- Area 15 Las Vegas – Vegas’s Hottest New Attraction
- Exotic Car Racing
- Las Vegas Day Trip to the Valley of Fire
- Fire Wave Trail at the Valley of Fire
- Vegas Packing List: What to Wear in Las Vegas
- 5 Hotels You Have to Book in Las Vegas – Our top recommended Vegas hotels