Kipu Kai Beach
Looking for a secluded beach to enjoy while in Kauai?
Kauai is not as visited as some of the other Hawaiian islands so you have a better shot at getting a beach to yourself.
Maybe you’ve seen Kipu Kai Beach on the map and thought that this could be the one you escape and get to yourself.
If you do get here, you will probably have it to yourself, but getting here is much harder than you would expect.
Kipu Kai Location
Kipu Kai is located on the south east coast of Kauai. It is between the Poipu Resort area and the main airport.
Why It Is So Difficult to Access
This beach is entirely surrounded by private land. That means that there are no road you are allowed to drive in on.
There are also no trails that you are allowed to drive in on.
Maybe you are planning on renting a kayak and accessing the beach yourself?
While lots of times that could work since all beaches in Hawaii are public, the shore break is extremely difficult. It is not recommended that you try to Kayak here, even if you are an expert.
Conclusion: Is Kipu Kai Beach worth visiting?
Long story short, unless you plan to skydive onto the island your time is going to be best spent considering you should probably find another beach.
I recommend Moloa’a Beach or Donkey Beach as ones that you can likely find some privacy on. They each don’t have a ton of visitors and if you walk down to the end opposite the entrance, the other visitors seem to disappear.
WHAT TO PACK FOR KAUAI
- Dresses – Packing a few good dresses is essential for Hawaii. Dresses have become my go to on trips to help quickly put an outfit together. Revolve is one of my go to shops for beach dresses. ASOS also has great summer dresses.
- Shorts – Anyone who is traveling to Hawaii needs a good pair of shorts. Khakis are great for guys. For women, cute athletic shorts or denim shorts are perfect for a breezy summertime look. These Levi denim shorts are my current favorites! These high waisted athletic shorts have gone viral on instagram and for good reason, they are AMAZING.
- Sandals – LOVE these Teva’s! They are my new go to travel sandal. Shop my favorite Teva’s here. They are great to wear in the water snorkeling and also amazing for hiking in Hawaii.
- Sports bra – This SKIMS bra is the most comfortable sports bra you will ever wear! Trust me. I travel with 5 of them. Also, highly recommend checking out the SKIMS fits everybody bra is to die for as well.
- Tank tops – Free people is my go to place to buy cute and affordable tank tops. I have this tighten up tank in almost every color.
- Hat – essential. Shop the newest hats at Nordstrom.
- Beach cover-up – Having at least one good cover-up is essential on any beach trip. I recommend ASOS, Nordstrom and Revolve as well.
- Hiking boots – I have two pairs of hiking boots that I love. My Columbia waterproof boots and my Salomon hiking boots. Highly recommend checking them both out! Warning – they both sell out really quick.
- Tennis Shoes – I guess you could wear sandals hiking this trail but I would recommend tennis shoes. It can get narrow and slippery in parts. These Nike high tops are my current favs. They look so cute with shorts too!
- Packing cubes – I always go to Urban Outfitters for my packing cubes. They have the cutest ones!
- Quick Dry Travel Towel – This quick dry towel is amazing to travel with. It really will come in handy when you need extra room in your suitcase.
- Snorkeling gear – for obvious reasons.
Planning a trip to Kauai? Check out all our Kauai blog posts below.
My husband and I have been to Kauai many times and have written up more blog posts to help you plan your trip. These are my most popular blog posts and Kauai travel guides to help you plan your trip.
- TUNNELS BEACH IN KAUAI (amazing snorkeling, swimming, seals) – one of my personal favorite beaches own the entire island!
- SHIPWRECK BEACH ON KAUAI – Amazing cliff jumping beach
- MOLOA’A BEACH ON KAUAI – Insanely underrated. Giligans Island was filmed here. This beach was another one of my favorites. Practically empty.
- Anini Beach – (Snorkeling, fishing, swimming) Great for basically everything.
- Lumaha’i Beach Kauai – What you need to know before going
- Secret Beach Kauai! (aka Kauapea beach) – MUST see beach!
- KE’E BEACH ON KAUAI – read snorkeling, swimming, but you have to make reservation in advance – it was a nightmare.
- QUEEN’S BATH KAUAI: COMPLETE GUIDE – Another must visit!
- Hideaway’s Beach – Amazing snorkeling on the North Shore.
- Haena Beach – We saw a Monk Seal on this beach!
- Gillin’s Beach – Fairly secluded beach where you can ride horses!
- Donkey Beach – Underrated – practically deserted beach
- Hanalei Beach – Gorgeous beach, perfect for sunsets.
- Kalapaki Beach in Kauai – Perfect beach for families and swimming
- Salt Pond Beach Park – Amazing beach for kids and families (You can camp here as well)
- Black Pot Beach
Kauai Hiking Guides
- KALEPA RIDGE TRAIL – BEST HIKE IN HAWAII…SERIOUSLY. Trust me, don’t leave this one off your list! It’s GORGEOUS!
- WAILUA FALLS HIKE ON KAUAI – (AMAZING WATERFALL HIKE!)
- MAKALEHA TRAIL – Amazing trail that is extremely muddy. 100% worth it!
- CANYON TRAIL TO WAIPO’O FALLS
- Pihea Trail – Easy hike on Kauai with Na’pali Coast Views!
- Makauwahi Cave Trail – Kauai Hidden gem
Read about all the hikes we have done in Kauai here.
Read all other posts on Kauai here.